Daniel Martinek BSc
... Computer Science Student ...
... Independent Game Developer ...
Table of Contents
A short résumé:
- Born: 1987
- Current Location: Vienna, Austria
- Current Occupation: Student
- Compulsory Military Service finished in 2008.
These are some of the skills I bring with me:
- I have a secondary education in industrial engineering.
- I speak following languages:
- Native Language: German
- Additional Language: English
- I've already used/am using following programming/scripting languages:
- I've already worked/am working with following technologies:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0-4.5
- SQL CE
- Windows Communication Foundation
- Windows Forms
- Microsoft XNA Framework
- Microsoft DirectX 9 and 11
- Java Media Framework
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0-4.5
- I'm very familiar with following tools:
- Adobe Photoshop 7 and newer
- Adobe Premiere 2 and newer
- Autodesk 3ds Max 6 and newer
- Autodesk Mudbox 2010 and newer
- Maxon Cinema 4D R10 and newer
- Microsoft PIX for Windows
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and newer
- nVidia FXComposer
- Radiant/Hammer Editors
- I'm also able to use following tools:
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Illustrator
- Autodesk Combustion
- Eclipse IDE
- Unreal Editor
- Ofcourse I'm also skilled in Microsoft Office, and well, as you can see, I design websites too!
These are some projects I was/am working on:
Quick Access Bar for Windows
With the release of Windows Vista I noticed that my beloved autohiding quick access bar on the top of my desktop was no longer supported, so I sat down and programmed my own version in VB.NET using some Windows API features for the Aeroglass look. The last update to it was released in May 2011 together with its own website.
Tantalus RPG Engine
Back in mid 2007 I developed the base of an RPG engine using the TrueVision3D SDK. Basic world creation, like landscape sculpting, vegetation and object placement was already implemented, but because of other commitments I was not able to finish this project. There is still a YouTube Video showing the Game-Editors capabilities.
In 2010 a friend of mine, Ronny Neumann, approached me to create a software for his final presentation in art college. Within about a month I created a 3D application for product presentation, again using the TrueVision3D SDK and loads of handwritten HLSL shader code. The application is programmed in C# and uses the DirectX 9 API. Half a year later we updated this software for another such presentation. You can download the first version to test it yourself. It requires at least a DX9 SM3.0 graphicscard.
Vier / VierCORE
Vier is an independent game project for which I'm developing the technology. The engine of Vier (called VierCORE) is based on DirectX 11 (via SharpDX) and programmed in C#. A deferred rendering approach is used and the graphics engine supports tessellation and displacement mapping. The collaborative editor VierBUILDER uses a server-client architecture via WCF and enables the team to work simultaneously on the game enironment. A very early test version is available as a download here.
TILE (The Incredibly Lovely Engine)
The TILE engine is a Jump'n'Run game engine based on Microsofts XNA Platform. It works on both PC and XBox 360. Like many Jump'n'Run engines it's based on graphical tiles but also supports decals to improve the visual effects (both can be animated). While developing the engine I'm also creating a test game called HATS.
Since the summer of 2012 I'm working on a game engine and game prototype called -DAWN-. -DAWN- is a short interactive vignette focusing on player interaction and atmospheric storytelling in highly detailed environments. It is created in C# and Direct3D 11.
In 2012 I finished my BA dissertation as part of a project at the Entertainment Computing Group of the University of Vienna. My work is about the realistic realtime rendering of skin. As part of the dissertation I have implemented many state-of-the-art skin rendering algorithms in DX9 using HLSL shaders.
These are some random facts about me:
- For a long time I've been Multiplayer-Leader/Mapper at the SG-MOD for HL2.